Welcome to our Spring Newsletter,
The sun has finally come out and it’s beginning to feel more like spring. We have gone from freezing temperatures and snow to a heatwave within the space of 6 weeks! This has made for an interesting variety in injuries that we have been helping our patients with! Most of the strains and sprains from slipping over in the snow/ice have now recovered, but we have had an influx of people who have strained their backs or muscles following enthusiastic activities like gardening, jet washing the patio and lots of outdoor sports. See our tips for staying safe in the garden and during sport.
We hope you like the new desk in our reception area. We’ve had many positive comments on it. We have added this to help comply with the new GDPR guidance, for the protection of, and correct use of people’s data, which comes into effect on 25 May 2018. Iran and Ellie have been spending lots of time making sure that we comply with the new rules.
Alison & Christina xx
Tips for staying safe in the garden
- Warm up: Just like an athlete before sport. Walk around the garden a few times and do a few gentle stretches eg. Side bending, spinal rotations, hamstring and quadriceps stretches.
- Avoid repetitive motions: Prolonged digging, raking, pruning and planting, may irritate your muscles, tendons or nerves. Try changing tasks every 15 minutes and take a few minutes break between each task.
- Banish Bending: kneeling instead of bending (if your knees allow it) will put less strain on your back. Try using a kneeling pad.
- Careful lifting: use your legs and engage your core muscles to pro-tect your back. Hold objects close to the body to reduce strain on the back. Never lift anything to big or heavy by yourself – ask for help!
Ask your physio for advice on any of the above and for some appropriate stretching and core exercises.
Following the success of Ski-Hab, we have Sport-Fit and Polo-fit classes running from April.
From the 21st April we started holding weekly physio led Sport-Fit classes, to help you improve your fitness and prevent injury.
- Every Saturday, from 9 – 10am
- At Heather Farm in Horsell (Prime Acrobatics)
- 12 max. per class
- Join at any time – 6 week block bookings
- 12 max. per class
- £60 for 6 sessions (pay in advance)
- 18s and over
Sign-up now to avoid disappointment and be sport or summer ready with a stronger you.
Call 01483 766668 to reserve your place
* Unfortunately missed classes cannot be taken at a later date.
Massive congratulations to Henk for completing his personal triathlon. Henk has been a Hillview patient for many years after suffering a stroke. At the end of last year Ben set him this massive challenge of 5km rowing, 21km cycling and 800m swimming all at Woking Leisure Centre – his own Henktathlon!
Henk, with typical determination jumped at it and trained incredibly hard. A few of us went to support Henk and were amazed at the speed he took on each challenge. He even doubled the distance on the adapted rowing machine to 10km.
If you’d like to sponsor Henk for his amazing effort, he is raising money for Stroke Association.
Ellie’s Half Marathon
As many of you will be aware, Ellie, our Deputy Office Man-ager, competed in the Inaugural
London Landmarks Half Marathon earlier this month, in aid of Parkinson’s UK Charity.
She did fantastically well,
finishing in 2hours 7 minutes & looked amazingly fresh of face at the finish line! Does the full marathon beckon next year?
Ellie would like to thank all who sponsored her- she raised £1,036.
Welcome and Goodbye
We’d like to welcome Charlotte Salvetti-Langton to our clinic. Charlotte will be doing home visits for Neurological patients.
Helena is on extended maternity leave, we look forward to meeting her baby in June.
Sadly, Matt has decided to concentrate on his NHS work and is no longer with us.
Lizzie recently attended a course on ‘The Shoulder: steps to success’ by Jo Gibson. She said it was an excellent update on current research in the management of shoulder pathology.
Lizzie is also currently undertaking an online course in strength and
Charlotte has completed a course in yoga for Neurology.
Sports Massage at Hillview
Teresa Bacon is at Hillview on Wednesdays at 2pm or 3.15pm.
For appointments or more information, please call Teresa on 07710 451471
Pilates at Hillview
Call Kevin on 07980 799713 or 01483 766668.
Andrea Coombs, one of our physiotherapists, also specialises in Pilates.